Use of methamphetamine or meth has become a glaring problem in today’s world. Not only does the drug destabilize the mental sanity of an individual, but it also burns up the body gradually, until nothing at all is left of the user. But that’s not all. Non-users are affected quite drastically as well.
Just as cigarette smoking not only causes harm to the smokers but also to the passive smokers who in most cases do not even touch a cigarette, meth affects both users as well as non-users who come in contact with it. And the reason why meth contamination has become a nuisance for the common people is because users often tend to smoke within the house. Moreover, a good portion of the meth users prefer to prepare their own drug and they do so within the house using a mixture of several over-the-counter drugs. The result? Well, the flavors and particles of meth contaminate the entire house and leave you exposed to the risk as well.
How to identify a house with meth contamination?
If you do not want to expose yourself and your dear ones to the dangers of meth addiction, it is important that you cautiously check any property that you visit or are willing to buy. Some of the very common signs that you should look for are as follows:
- Check the walls and the floor carefully. Are there yellow stains that have no reason to be there? Be warned as these may have occurred due to the preparation and smoking of meth indoors. Also, check the showers, sinks, drains, etc. for similar yellowish stain.
- If you find that the valves of propane tanks or fire extinguishers have discolored and turned bluish, then there are clear indications that meth still exists within the house.
- There are no or useless smoke detectors. Though there may be other reasons for inoperative fire extinguishers, yet you cannot totally eliminate the chances of presence of meth.
- Also be on the lookout for strong and weird odor quite similar to garage solvents or cat urine. Such odor often arises due to the traces of meth contamination still existent in the house.
- You may also feel uncomfortable within the house and have unexpected problems like itching, burning throats, irritation in the eyes and so. If any such discomfort occurs, become aware immediately.
- If you find unnecessary things like exhaust fans in inappropriate rooms, then there are chances that the fans were installed to clear off the dense smoke arising from meth preparation/smoking.
- Moreover, unplanned home furnishings like false walls, ceilings, etc. that can hide stains, spots, etc. should draw your attention. Why are they there after all?
Though the above checks can give you an idea whether the house is clean or not, it would be difficult to reach a confirmed decision. That is why it would be a good idea that you either use a DIY test kit for meth contamination or appoint experts who can provide you with the final results.